We believe that our pool of drivers is among the finest in the country – possessing a wealth of experience, knowledge and enthusiasm. To help uphold those standards, all drivers undertaking our transfers (except in emergency) will have a copy of the driver code.
Passenger safety : Passenger safety is the no 1 priority. This means:
· Driving responsibly and within speed limits at all times.
· Ensuring vehicle is regularly serviced.
· Checking vehicle daily.
· Mandatory fitting of front seat belts.
· Avoiding itineraries with excessive driving hours.
· No alcohol during working hours.
· Appropriate rest stops.
· Mobile phone calls occasionally need to be made and taken – but these should not be answered while vehicle in motion.
· Drivers should carry a basic first aid kit and have basic first-aid knowledge.
Note : Official drivers' quarters in a minority of hotels can be inadequate or non-existent. Our commitment to responsible travel means that, in these few cases, we make modest provision for drivers' quarters (US$15 per night). You will be advised of this at the time of booking. This commitment upholds basic minimum standards for our valued team of drivers as well as treating your safety seriously.
Compulsory safety checks : Colombo City Travel follow these procedures on all its transport for the additional safeguards of its clients and drivers. These safety checks are compulsory:
· Transport must be locked if ever unmanned.
· Luggage must only be loaded into vehicles by clients, Colombo City Travel chauffeur or employees of the hotel/villa.
· Clients should pack suitcase themselves and keep supervised at all times after packing, or store in official hotel areas.
· Transport must be routinely checked before every journey or part-journey.
Relationship with fellow passengers : Drivers and passengers should seek to develop a relationship appropriate to each individual. This means:
· Acting as a tour guide – only when required.
· Offering general advice – only when required.
· Respecting passengers’ wish for quiet times.
· That all parties recognize the right to mutual politeness and respect.
Tips and gifts : Colombo City Travel Ltd encourages its customers, whenever they wish, to offer drivers tips or gifts for satisfactory services. Tipping drivers is accepted practice, and it is especially beneficial on long tours when drivers may be away from home for long periods. However, drivers must under no circumstances request a tip or gift for work undertaken on our tours.
Itineraries and flexibility : Colombo City Travel drivers should:
· Arrive at least 15 minutes before scheduled departure time (excepting extreme circumstances, such as major road accidents).
· Maintain good standards of appearance including personal hygiene.
· Provide a mobile phone number, where possible.
· Discuss suitable starting times with passengers for each day’s itinerary and be responsive to the occasional need for last-minute changes.
· Respond flexibly to occasional requests for route changes or additional excursions, if these do not compromise safety and acceptable arrival times. (Note: These may incur an extra cost).
· Feel free to offer interesting excursions, but always immediately respect the fact that "no" means precisely that.
Purchases of goods/shopping:
· Only recommend places that they truly believe are of good standard and recommend by the company
· Always advice travellers that they are shopping at their own risk and that, in the case of items that have to be shipped, they are clear about any additional charges that might be imposed.
· Ensure, where possible, that travellers have necessary receipts and contact numbers in case of problems with their purchase.
Additional support : Colombo City Travel drivers can assist further by:
· Acting as a go-between between clients and Colombo City Travel in the event of problems or complaints.
· Assisting with hotel check-in (remaining for 10 minutes after check-in in case of problems) and check-outs.
· Advising on minor problems.
· Advising Colombo City Travel on newly-discovered hotels or changes to known hotels.
Our customer feedback pages tell just how highly our drivers are regarded. They can help make your holiday in Sri Lanka that extra bit special.
Wondering what is a really good Surf & Yoga retreat in Sri Lanka? 🙂 Check out – Surf & Yoga, Mirissa